Visit the Children's Room
Constance Laibe Hays Children’s Room
The Constance Laibe Hays Children’s Room at Poets House offers opportunities for children to experience poetry, attend unique performances and participate in creating poetry, art, music and dance. Every object in the room is intended to promote thought and creative association. Children can also compose poetry or prose on old-fashioned manual typewriters (believe it or not, a huge favorite among the digital generation) or explore our wooden card catalogue filled with different objects and related poems to be used as writing prompts. In addition to poetry experiences for children age four to ten with acclaimed artists and poets, we offer Tiny Poets Time for toddlers. From the Bronx to Brownsville, thousands of children from more than 85 public schools have been introduced to poetry. Poets House serves more than 8,000 children annually.
The Children’s Room is a whimsical, light-filled space featuring:
- classic and contemporary poetry for children by such luminary authors as Lewis Carroll, A.A. Milne, Dr. Seuss, Bobbi Katz, Karla Kuskin, Langston Hughes, Jack Prelutsky, Shel Silverstein, Douglas Florian, Sylvia Plath, Roald Dahl, William Blake, Lucille Clifton, Carl Sandburg, and many more
- a canoe-shaped bookshelf
- vintage wooden school desks
- antique card catalog cases filled with over 50 poetry dioramas
- special Saturday programs by acclaimed children’s book authors and illustrators
- manual typewriters
- free class visits by appointment
A special thanks goes to Con Edison for support of the Children's Room.
Children's Room Hours
Special Saturday Events, for ages four to ten, starting at 11:00am. Select Saturdays feature guest poets and illustrators or other special events; a schedule is below.
Tiny Poets Time, songs and poetry readings for toddlers, Thursdays starting at 10:00am.