Audio Roundup: 2019 Showcase Reading Series
Tune in to the latest in poetry! Hear poets read from new books—the most recent additions to the Poets House library—with this roundup of recordings from our Showcase Reading Series!
On Thursday, June 27, 2019, we proudly opened the 27th Annual Showcase, an exhibit featuring over 3,300 books of poetry published by more than 800 presses in 2018 and the first half of 2019. Housed in Poets House’s Elizabeth Kray Hall through August 17, the exhibit was free and open to the public. This exhibition was accompanied by readings on Thursday evenings—often held outdoors behind the Hall on the lovely graduated seating in Teardrop Park South—with poets sharing selections of their work from the Showcase with rapt audiences. If you couldn’t join us for any of these readings, no worries! You can catch up here by listening to our audio recordings.
- We kicked off the 2019 Showcase on June 27 with readings by Ross Gay (The Book of Delights, Algonquin Books), Tina Chang (Hybrida, W. W. Norton), and Tommy Pico (Junk, Tin House Books), following a welcome address by Poets House Executive Director Lee Briccetti and an introduction by Poets House Program Director Paolo Javier.
- We took a holiday break on July 4 and returned on July 11 with readings by Charles Bernstein (Near/Miss, University of Chicago Press), Andrea Abi-Karam (EXTRATRANSMISSION, Kelsey Street Press), Abigail Chabitnoy (How To Dress a Fish, Wesleyan University Press), and Ed Bok Lee (Mitochondrial Night, Coffee House Press).
- On July 18, we heard amazing readings from Roberto Tejada (Still Nowhere in an Empty Vastness, Noemi Press), Cody-Rose Clevidence (Flung Throne, Ahsahta Press), and Shayla Lawson (I Think I’m Ready To See Frank Ocean, Saturnalia Books).
- The heat did not keep the audience away on July 25 as listeners gathered to hear readings by Asiya Wadud (Crosslight for Youngbird, Nightboat Books), Arthur Sze (Sight Lines, Copper Canyon Press), Chase Berggrun (R E D, Birds, LLC), and Jesús Papoleto Meléndez (PAPOLíTICO, 2Leaf Press).
- Our Showcase readings ended with a bang on August 1, with an ample audience in attendance for readings by Eugene Gloria (Sightseer in This Killing City, Penguin Random House), Adrian Silbernagel (Transitional Object, The Operating System), Jesse Rice-Evans (The Uninhabitable, Sibling Rivalry Press), and Tina Cane (Body of Work, Veliz Books).
Enjoy these recordings from the Showcase Reading Series! We will continue to update our audio archive so that you can stay in touch with the happenings here at Poets House. If you didn’t get a chance to peruse the exhibition of the 27th Annual Poets House Showcase, rest assured that all the titles in the exhibition are now part of our library collection. Please do pay us a visit to explore the latest in poetry. We hope to see you soon!