Audio Roundup: Defying Borders and Celebrating Legacies
November and December were exciting months for Poets House, with a capacious range of events and happenings—including a reading of international poets and translators; tributes and conversation about poetics; and installments of our Epic Voices series, investigating long poems across the ages. While we were thrilled to have robust audiences at each event, these audio recordings offer perfect listening for a cozy winter day, whether you were in attendance in New York City or join us now from another place.
We invite you to experience the following programs:
- The acclaimed Iowa International Writing Program brought poets from Israel, Lithuania, Turkey, Mauritius, and India to read at Poets House.
- Marilyn Chin delivered a craft talk and read from her new book, A Portrait of the Self as Nation: New and Selected Poems, exploring immigrant and transnational identity.
- Poets John Beer and Stacey Tran joined biographer Michael N. McGregor to celebrate the life and work of Robert Lax, as well as the reissue of his acclaimed 33 Poems.
- Steve Clay, Joshua Beckman, Steve McCaffery, and Tracie Morris explored the experimental work of Dick Higgins—concrete poet, conceptual artist, theorist, and founder and editor of Something Else Press, which published Gertrude Stein, John Cage, and other prominent avant-garde figures.
- In our ongoing Epic Voices series, Polish writer and translator Jacek Dehnel and American translator Bill Johnston discussed the Polish epic poem, from the 19th century to the present day.
- Vincent Katz and Tammy Nguyen hosted an all-star cast of readers in honor of writer and art critic John Yau. The lineup featured Anselm Berrigan, Sergio Bessa, Joseph Donahue, Albert Mobilio, Laura Mullen, Catherine Murphy, Barry Schwabsky, Genya Turovskaya, Stanley Whitney, Monica Youn, and John Yau himself.
We’ll periodically update you on new content in our audio archive. In the meantime, we also invite you to explore older recordings, such as a 2018 Showcase Reading with Aimee Nezhukumatathil, Michael Lally, Joy Ladin, and Roberto Harrison; Danez Smith on Audre Lorde; a performance by LaTasha N. Nevada Diggs; a conversation with Sylvia Legris and Will Alexander; and so much more! Enjoy!