- This event has passed.
A Painter and His Poets: The Art of George Schneeman
Apr 22, 2014 | 12:00 am - Nov 15, 2014 | 12:00 am
On view: Tuesday, April 22–Saturday, November 15, 2014
“A Painter and His Poets” is the first major retrospective of George Schneeman’s (1934-2009) collaborative paintings, collages, prints, and books, spanning 40 years of his work and including many portraits of his poet friends. “A sort of utopia in the visual field filled with pleasure, quickness and wit” is how Schneeman himself described his collaborative work with poets. A New York City underground treasure, Schneeman’s work—playful, energetic, modern —comes as a revelation to the viewer, offering insight into new possibilities for writing and art. Curated by Bill Berkson and Ron Padgett.
- Working With Others: George Schneeman at Poets House (The Best American Poetry blog)
- “A sense of the artist and his poets’ sheer joy in the act of improvisational creation comes through strongly…” Culture Crux reviews the exhibition
- Kate Sutton reviews the show in the September 2014 issue of Artforum (PDF)
- Tim Keane reviews the exhibition for Hyperallergic.com: “Quattrocento on the Bowery: The Collaborative Art of George Schneeman”.
- Poet and art critic John Yau reflects on George Schneeman and “An Arcadian Moment in the Heart of New York’s Lower East Side”.
- Holland Cotter’s review (New York Times)
Funded in part by a grant from the Dedalus Foundation.
- Apr 22, 2014 | 12:00 am
- Nov 15, 2014 | 12:00 am
- Event Category: