Poets House offers six-week open-enrollment poetry workshops, weekend Master Classes, and one-day open enrollment writing workshops and seminars, providing learning opportunities for a variety of interests and skill levels.
Most class enrollment is on a first-come, first-served basis, and we encourage you to enroll early. Enrollment is complete when full payment for tuition has been received.
Summer 2019 Workshops & Classes
It’s About Time: Writing Workshop for Seniors with Dave Johnson
A free narrative poetry workshop for poets who have lived some life and are ready to tell about it, led by poet and educator Dave Johnson.
Writing in Response to Gay New York: A Writing Workshop for Seniors with Michael Klein
A workshop for seniors in the context of Gay New York: Walt Whitman to the Present, an art exhibition documenting LGBTQ landmarks and sites.
Master Classes, which usually meet Saturday and Sunday, offer advanced writers of poetry an opportunity to work intensively with some of the most respected poets of our time. An application of three poems is required, sent through Submittable; space is limited. Fee: $395.
Six-Week Open-Enrollment Workshops
Open to all levels, six-week courses are offered on a wide variety of topics. Register early—first come, first served. Fee: $325.
Poems as Prayers: Writing Toward a Just World with Caits Meissner
A workshop with Caits Meissner in which students will harness “ritual, spellmaking, disruption, and interactive poem-experiments” to write a collective future.
The Self: Autobiography &/In Poetic Forms with Cynthia Manick
A workshop with Cynthia Manick in which students will explore the multiplicity of identity and the way the “self” can emerge on the page.
Special One-Day Workshops
- Requests for refunds must be received in writing. To request a refund, email Gia Gonzales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Poets House retains a $60 processing fee on any refund.
- Refunds will not be issued after the following deadlines, regardless of participation. For Six-Week Workshops: tuition (less processing fee) is refundable until the second class meeting. For Master Classes: refund requests must be made at least 24 hours prior to the first meeting.
- Tuition will not be pro-rated for missed classes.
- Six registrants are required in order for a class to run. If a course fails to meet the minimum registration, it will be cancelled and full tuition will be refunded to all registrants.